Thursday, July 16, 2009

and now for a little background...

Napaskiak, for those who don't know and love it, is a village in Alaska about 400 miles west of Anchorage. The population is mostly Yup'ik Eskimo, and as of the last check that I know of, numbers a bit over 400. I have had the good fortune to travel there three times already, and I like the place. It will be a big change from life in the garden spot of Northern Lower Michigan, but I am looking forward to it.

I am a guinea pig of sorts. I am a member of a new alternative certification program designed to place teachers in what folks in Alaska call the "Bush." I have had the privilege to be part of the first group of teachers certified under this program. I hope that my fellows will start blogs of their own, so that we can compare and communicate as we go through this seriously life-changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment