Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Little More Up To Date...

Since the last installment, I have gotten my eval, the basketball tournament has taken place, and a change or two is in store...

I apparently am not too big a stumbling idiot, and I did ok on the last eval. Next year, I will have tenure, and I will have one formal evaluation each year, like everybody else. My principal is given to more frequent less formal evaluations, which makes some sense, and keeps us reasonably sharp. It will be nice to be one of the big kids.

The tournament went by in a whirl. I was unfortunate enough to finally fall victim to traveling viruses for the first time during this school year, which is at least a pleasant contrast to the track record of previous years. It caused me to watch a couple of games, including the championship game, from one of the classrooms at the school. They are broadcast throughout the school system on a closed circuit system that we use for distance education and conferences. Our boys made it to the championship game after a tight struggle with last year's champion school.

Unfortunately, they met a larger, and more experienced team in the finals. They played hard, but could not close the deal. We were disappointed, but proud of our boys for what they had accomplished. One of our fans started a fan club on Facebook, and there were lots of positive posts showing support of the team and our coach, who has led the school to one third place finish, two second place finishes, three district championships, and one state championship during the time that he has been teaching and coaching here.A pretty good record, I think.

It looks as if our upcoming classes in the middle grades are so big that we are going to have to split up the 5th and 6th grades next year. If my understanding of the numbers is correct, I will have even more bodies to cram into space next year than this. I am in the process of evaluating the differences in the classrooms, but it looks as if I may be changing my base of operations in the fall to a bigger room. There are pluses and minuses to the deal, but I suspect that it makes sense, on the whole.

We have ten weeks left to go as of Friday. Time to start making serious plans for the senior trip and what we will do in Michigan during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment