Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'm Still Here!

I wander over here from time to time, and it is usually guilt that actually draws me back to the keyboard. A loyal reader or follower says something, and I feel the need to catch up again.

So here goes: the year is going pretty well. We are nearly at the end of the first nine weeks already (Friday), the baby is great, and we are already looking forward to the Christmas holiday break. It will be especially different this year, because we are going to visit my in-laws in Alabama, and I hope that means a warmer Christmas than last year.

The power problems have apparently been resolved for now, and my impression is that this statement is more than just chit-chat. We have gotten a new motor for one of our generators, and things have been remarkably consistent since then. Yay for power!

In order that I not be without some frustrations, the internet service at the house has been remarkably INconsistent in the recent past. We had outages that lasted for hours, and some would follow right on the heels of one another with only a few minutes of actual available service. We finally lost service entirely during a windstorm a week or so ago, and things seem to be working better since repairs were made. Not perfect, but a whole lot more consistent.

We made a crucial decision back in the summer. Now that we have the baby in the village, we figured that the snowmachine could no longer be our principal means of winter transportation. I broke down after 4+ happy car-less years and bought a used Subaru wagon to drive on the river this winter. We have a 4-day-long inservice after Labor Day, and it was actually pleasant to get around Bethel without being dependent on taxis or the district shuttle. The car now sits at my friend Sandy's house while we aren't using it. Once the river freezes, and the highway is open, we will take it down to the village for winter use.

If this silliness wasn't enough, we also took a look at our transportation situation back in the lower 48. We decided that rental costs were getting ridiculous and that it was time to break down and get a baby/dog hauler there, too. The problem is accommodating three dog kennels and one big baby seat. We aren't going Suburban here, but we aren't going Honda Fit, either. We were actually able to find a certified used car with only 8600 miles on it that is a 2013 model. All I have to do now is move money from my IRAs to Alaska and back to Alabama. No small challenge there. I was actually in place to deposit checks for the last couple of days, because I have been in Bethel. Unfortunately, two of the three checks got to Napaskiak after I left. Oh well, on to plan B...

And finally, the reason that I am in Bethel. I am the coach for junior high speech. Every year, it seems that I have been able to persuade a few more kids to try it. This year we had seven kids. Four of them made it into the finals in the Expository speech category. First, third, fourth and fifth place. I am very proud of these guys. It makes the work and late hours worth it. Tonight is the dance that we have at the end of the two day contest each year. It is probably time to stop typing this and go dance with my kids. Friday night? I am running the books for a wrestling tournament. Time to address my deficiencies in this regard, I suppose....
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad all is going well and thank you for posting. Kelly

    ReplyDelete