Friday, October 28, 2011

The Rest Of It...

The speech contest was a success, at least as far as spending some time with some of my students was concerned. We got through two nights of sleeping on classroom floors without too much incident (I borrowed an air mattress from the District Office), except for the sleepwalking situation that took place on our second night there. One of our guests in the room apparently got up, rolled up his sleeping bag, and proceeded to leave the room. He went, fortunately, to his sponsor's room, and they must have directed him back to us, because he was there in the morning. I was so tired at that point that I slept through the entire thing. Some chaperone.

I took my kids to lunch at our favorite Korean restaurant in Bethel, and they got to learn the use of chopsticks. One practiced on french fries, which strikes me as truly international in nature. She described that later as one of her favorite moments. I like that.

The kids did well, especially considering that at least two of them had never done such a thing before. I thought it gave all of us a nice break and a chance to do something different. I may be taking high school kids to the competition in November, which will be interesting and different.

Now we are ready for yet another shortened weekend, as we have a contracted work day tomorrow. It often feels as if we have no time that is not work time, and a number of people are beginning to show the strain. I like this job, but it is hard to do it and maintain a personal life, considering the number of side projects that both my wife and I have going at any given time. Oh well, there is always Christmas.

Halloween is next week, and we have a number of festivities planned. Our carnival will take place Tuesday night, and we will have a costume judging on Monday. Then there are parent-teacher conferences on Wednesday and Thursday. The following week is shortened by a Friday inservice, and the week after that is high school speech, which has the capacity to take another Tuesday and Wednesday out of the week. Thanksgiving is the following week. We will be hurtling towards the holidays very soon, and I am beginning to wonder where the time went.

The weather has turned towards winter, and the river was clearly beginning to freeze when we viewed it from the air yesterday morning. Soon we will get out the snowmachines, and we will begin to have several months of mobility. These are exciting times to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment