Saturday, February 18, 2012

Goin' To Bethel (On a Couple of Different Levels)...

Our boys have done it again...they won two in a row to win the conference tournament last night and first thing this morning. We were lucky enough to watch the games from the concession stand window, and there were some interesting, dramatic, and even comic moments. At more or less the same time, our girls' team placed second in their tournament to win the chance to compete in Bethel at the district tournament alongside the boys in less than two weeks. That is where we will be spending the weekend of March 1-2-3, likely including some exciting hallway tailgating at Bethel Regional High School. So much for the idea of rest and relaxation that weekend, although I guess a few days off to watch basketball isn't exactly hell on earth. It does get hectic with the travel back and forth, but it is all pretty much fun.

After we watched the awards ceremony, cleaned up the concessions area, and got the sno go and the sled hooked up, we jetted off to Bethel for a union meeting (I am on the executive board), and helped pack up t-shirts for the membership. Thanks to the good leadership of LKNEA for the pizza! We are entering negotiations with the district, during which we find out just how we are loved and valued by our employer. I know that I was impressed with the selfless generosity of the opening offer. But, enough of that. We capped off our day of fun with a trip to the Alaska Commercial store, and a three hundred dollar grocery bill. Yum, food.

After that, it was down the river, past the O-ville Ooze (the overflow by Oscarville is plentiful), and back to home sweet home for a nap and a walk for my wife and our new mama, Sara Jung. I have been hanging out here in my cave at the school doing emails and checking out the internet. I guess it is time to get over with the funnin' around, and load up some pages on the computer so that I can haul my work home and do my grading and planning from there tonight and tomorrow.

It is nearly time for my last evaluation for the year. Third year teachers have two. After this, should I be offered a contract, and should I return, I will be in a tenured position, and will be evaluated annually. Time has gone by quickly since I first applied to the AKT2 program in 2008. Nearly three years of teaching in the Bush. I like an awful lot of things about this job, and I think that I am pretty well convinced that the good (and the great) outnumber the bad. Of course, you should probably not ask me that same question on a Monday. I expect to be back for another year in August, with a whole new cast of junior high kids for my entertainment. The cycle goes on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment