Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wacky Weekend...

This is a few days late, but the story is kind of fun, so here it goes.

Last weekend was the date for the last big local basketball tournament of the winter, involving our junior high kids and six other teams from around our league. One school actually brought two teams. We had kids all over the school. The first game began at 2 pm Friday afternoon, and six were scheduled for the evening. My wife and I were in the concession stand helping the senior class raise money for their trip at the end of May. There was a crew of hardworking seniors there, too.

Throughout the evening, the lines never seemed to dissipate. Box after box of soft pretzels disappeared into the oven and out to the waiting crowds. I probably am fixated on them because I was the pretzel guy for much of the evening. I don't really care to see another pretzel for a while.

We managed to sell out of nearly everything long before the first evening was over. It was time for a morning run to Bethel to get more stuff. I was nominated, and I preferred that to the chaos at the concessions window.

The light was flat, and the truck trail was drifted in spots where the wind had blown snow the night before. It was kind of hard to see where the drifts were until I was almost upon them. Nonetheless, I made it up and back with more supplies, which were consumed by the crowd in less than two hours. Amazing. Over three thousand dollars in concessions sales for the weekend.

It was also my birthday on Friday, but there wasn't much time for celebrating. We decided to do that on Saturday night. That turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment