Thursday, May 17, 2012

We're Done!

The books are closing on my third year at this strange and occasionally wonderful job. The waters began receding yesterday, and we took a walk on a glorious spring (finally!) evening with Mrs. Jung last night. It ended with us standing on the porch talking with one of my students and just lingering in the sunshine. My wife got a call to go and steam, and I found myself surprised by the fact that I was still reading and it had somehow become 12:45 am...the time becomes nearly impossible to keep track of in this season.

We have an awards assembly this morning, and I have thought and thought about awards, and have decided that I want to address the whole class and not just a selected few kids. I think that I can do it quickly (at a premium at these events), and that I do not wish to leave any one out. I just mean to speak from the heart for a few minutes.

After that, the day will go fast. There are activities, and a lunch for the community. We will spend the afternoon working in our classrooms, which gives me a chance to catch up on some last grades, and begin to put this place in order for next year. There is a check out list, and when we are done we will have a couple of days to recuperate before we meet the seniors at the airport and begin the long trip back to Michigan with them all.

It has been an interesting year. I hope that I have learned some new things, which is the essence of life as I see it. I look forward to learning some new things as we return in August. It is time to go and get ready for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment