Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Back To The Grind...

I am sitting with a fairly large group of 7th-12th grade boys in my wife's classroom. Jack Dalton, who helped us make a lovely little movie two years ago, is running a writing exercise about Yup'ik dance. I just went down to fetch a large cup of coffee when I realized that I was falling asleep in this chair. This session will last until 4:30, but my check of the evening's schedule revealed that we will be going until 10:30 tonight. I hope to get home for a couple of hours of rest and maybe a bite of dinner, and a kiss from the baby. The next three nights promise to be the same.

This would be an exercise in endurance in any case. The baby got the two of us up at 3:00 am, for reasons best known to her. So, I am definitely running on fumes here. Ergo, the coffee. It is not my usual beverage at 3:55 in the afternoon.

We have been invaded for the district dance festival, which will run through Thursday night. Things have run smoothly enough for the first day. It has consisted, in large part, of groups of students coming into our building in waves. I am helping in the carving room, in which groups of boys are making something out of antler and bone. The task has been relatively simple thus far, but the logistics will get more complex tomorrow with larger groups of boys to shepherd.

I will be interested to watch the performances tonight and on the following evenings.  And now, that the coffee is beginning to revive me, I might just make it. This might be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment