Friday, August 12, 2011

The Odyssey...

Ok, it wasn't that dramatic. I got back to Anchorage and Bethel without incident. I took the layover time in Anchorage to hit the closest Fred Meyer and stock up on a few groceries, with the help of a list that my wife thoughtfully texted me. It was a little tense, but my faithful dog accompanied me and helped me maintain composure.

I saw a number of familiar faces on the trip to Bethel, including our superintendent of schools. I felt the pull of the delta as we got closer to landing. Joe Bavilla was waiting for me at the river with his boat. Buddha and I huddled in the boat against the wind as we flew down the river towards Napaskiak. I actually made a windscreen for the little guy with a piece of luggage, as he had recently had a haircut and didn't have a bunch of insulation against the wind and rain.

Eric and Sara Jung had thoughtfully provided me with a twin mattress so that I would have a place to sleep. Not all of the furniture had been delivered, and that which had had not been unpacked or assembled. I was excited to get into our new place, and set about to unpacking and storing some of our personal items. The apartment was cold, and I turned up the thermostat, but did not notice any change in the temperature. This was to have unintended consequences for the neighbors as the evening went on.

After a couple of hours of unpacking, I finally unboxed a recliner so that I could sit down and balance my dog on my lap. It felt good to leave the chair and crawl under some warm covers atop the mattress on the floor...


No comments:

Post a Comment