Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Down, Several To Go...

We are done with the first week of school already, and it seemed to go quickly. Many of us were here working at 11 p.m. on the night before classes started, and some were still here when we left. For my own part, I still feel as if there are some organizational bridges that I have left to cross, but many fewer than I have had in years past. I suspect that part of it can be attributed to a greater level of experience on my part. I hope that while I was learning things the hard way that I actually learned something permanently.

My kids are a combination of new and old, and I think that I am fortunate to have a pretty good bunch on the whole this year. We have spent the first several days focusing a lot on my expectations for their behavior and class organization, and I am still learning a few new wrinkles as I attempt to make 23 kids in a small room work out as a practical proposition on a daily basis.

This year marks the implementation of yet another major curriculum introduction. That means that those of us who are implementing are feeling our way around another machine with a lot of moving parts. Some of the parts work better than others, and the purpose of some of the parts is not at all clear. We are scheduled for an inservice on the subject right after the Labor Day weekend, so it is hoped that we will all have some hands-on experience with the materials and can ask intelligent questions that will help to address our needs as the year goes on. All that in mind, the system will likely take a while to work out.

I am doing my best to impress on the kids that we are taking conduct very seriously this year. There is no way to tolerate a lot of screwing around in a room this small, and we have already had a chance to learn that Mr. Hicok is real serious about this point this year. The nice thing is that my little ducklings seem to be picking up that point quickly. I know that there will be days where the focus gets fuzzy, but I think that we can actually have some fun this year with a little imagination and effort on my part. I have to say that this is the most positive frame of mind with which I have started the school year so far.

The one gray cloud on the horizon (aside from those in the consistently overcast skies) is that my smart board and my computer do not seem to be able to talk to one another. That is not going to work for me at all, and I am beseeching help this weekend in addressing the problem. I suspect in part that it may be a connection issue, so I will try a little experiment to check that question out. This classroom has become smart board-dependent in the year since it was installed. There is no going back at this point.

On the domestic front, the laundry is progressing nicely, and the breakfast dishes are done. The house is straightened up, and I can tell that we are going to enjoy the comforts of the new home. Now, all that I have to do is stop goofing around and get some grading and lesson plans done. Time to get after it...

No comments:

Post a Comment