Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Travels (cont.)

While I was getting the Boo and myself to our new home, my bride had been detoured across the country. In fact, although the counter agent at O'Hare airport said she was scheduling her on the flight to Seattle, a subsequent phone call to the Alaska Airlines reservation line showed that nothing of the kind had happened. It was a good thing that she called, and a big shame on you for the AA folks at O'Hare! Alaska Airlines apparently had a record of my wife's call to confirm our reservations, and the reservations agent immediately gave her a discount on her next airfare. Not good all around. (Except for the discount part).

She made the flights without problem, but she got into Anchorage at about 2 am, and did not get to Napaskiak until 9 am Monday morning. I urged her to get a little sleep, but she was too wired up on insomnia and caffeine to do so. So we started unpacking more totes, and eventually some fellas showed up to deliver our furniture (in unassembled states). We did get our bed delivered, so we left in the afternoon for Bethel secure in the notion that we had a place for both of us (and the dog) to sleep upon our return on Wednesday.

Off we went, back across the river for the second time in less than 24 hours. We delivered our dogs to the sitter, and I was a little worried about my little dog in a garage with a bunch of other dogs in the cold. Of course, I was being silly, and he apparently charmed both the pet sitters and their mom. He does that sort of thing frequently.

We got through two days of inservices that I actually found to be pretty useful, and returned on Wednesday night to a nice house, but no heat. That issue was sorted out in short order on Thursday, and we were able to get on with the task of setting up house in relative comfort. More inservices were in store for Thursday and Friday here in PKA, and the weekend was divided between assembling furniture and unpacking furniture, with a little work at the school thrown in for good measure.

Now, it is the night before school begins for the 2011-2012 school year. Most of us have worked long and hard today to get ready for tomorrow, and it still doesn't seem as if I am ready. I suspect that many of my compatriots feel the same way. All over the nation, beleaguered teachers are getting ready for a new group of students descending upon them. I wish them luck. We will all need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment