Monday, January 23, 2012

The Beginning of Another Week...

I can hear my wife struggling to get her students going in a straight direction this morning. I am sitting in the adjacent classroom during my preparation period. I have been composing a new vocabulary activity that I will use in a few minutes. My junior high kids were looking like something out of The Night Of The Living Dead when I left them to do their Yup'ik class. I am trying to decide whether to light a fire under their butts when I return, or gently nudge them towards some level of functionality. I suppose that I would be best advised to assess the situation upon my arrival.

Just an example of the myriad of tiny daily decisions about the approach to take to classes and students. Some of them work, and some of them are hideously bad ideas. It is not always clear in advance which way things will go. Sometimes you just have to take your chances. Take the PE activity for this week. Badminton. Just checked the supply of shuttlecocks. Three. For somewhere between 16-18 students. Ain't gonna work. At least not for the first couple of days of practice leading up to the "tournament." Maybe it is time to check on Amazon and see if I can pick up some cheap birds...

Of course, we can always segue to basketball or ultimate frisbee or bat game. No biggie. Just not all that organized. Best laid plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment