Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's Fun, All Right...

Things are going better than I might have expected with such a short time left in the school year. My kids (dare I be so presumptious?) have been, on the whole, much more involved and cooperative than the stories that I hear ordinarily told about this time of the calendar. I have been pretty impressed with their behavior. Maybe I am just used to them, but I doubt that a little bit. I am having more fun than I thought I would, and I think that they are, too.

We went on another walkabout in the village. This time, they were supposed to make observations of the things that they saw or heard. The big focus was on birds and bird calls, but they were carefully noting the presence of everything from barking dogs to the guy hauling the anuk (sp?) wagon. It was a blast to watch them clustering to write on their index cards. Today we talked about sex and stuff in health class, and their questions were a lot less silly than one might have guessed at with a group of junior high kids. I promised some research assignments for them as the week goes on in those areas. Some of the information is probably good for them to have before summer comes. A lot of kids pick up a lot of dumb ideas from their peers. I know that I did.

I am going to teach science tomorrow, as the regular teacher is going to be out of the village. It might be a preview of next year, as we are going to potentially have a much bigger classroom, and the current science teacher may well be busy with high school. I wonder how we will cram more bodies into an already crowded room, and any of a number of other things, and I wonder when that question will be addressed. I think that it will be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment