Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Seesaw Continues...

Today was a good one. I was kind of flying solo, and I kinda liked it. I did have a sub there, and he stopped the class to talk to the kids. He told them to respect their teachers, and that we cared about them and loved them, or we wouldn't be there. I kept quiet, both out of respect, and to hide the very real lump in my throat. It is hard to convey what those words mean to me.

We managed to get a lot done, which is hard at this time of year. The weather is getting better, and the birds are coming back, and more and more folks are thinking of hunting. I saw a crane this morning. It made me think of one of my steam buddies telling me about how yummy they are. I told my parents about it the other day. I don't think that they quite knew what to think about that. My dad was a pretty active hunter when he was younger. I can see it from both angles.

Ernie Harwell died today. He was probably the one voice that tied my childhood and adult life together. I listened to him on the radio for over 40 years. Just hearing him made me think of summer, which is a precious and short commodity in Michigan, too. I am sad that he is gone. I am happy for the life that he had, and for the memories that he gave to all of us who have been Tiger fans over the last half of the twentieth century. What a career.

Finally, Happy Birthday to Diego Kieliszewski, the best grandson in the world!!! See ya in a few weeks!!!

1 comment:

  1. RIP Ernie Harwell! I never had the joy of listening to him broadcast a game, but I read "The Game for All America" for an oratory competition in high school. He was truly a gift!

    ReplyDelete