Sunday, April 3, 2011

But I Digress...

Back to the subject of yesterday...the previous post was terminated due to its tendency to wander aimlessly...

After a yummy lunch at VIP (sushi, mmm...), we zipped back down the river to good old Napas, and hosted a roller-skating event that the seniors were hosting as a fundraising effort. We are working very hard to raise enough to take them for a nice senior trip. I saw several of my fifth grade students on the way over to the school and invited them. They declined on the basis that that was stuff for little kids, and they were not little kids...hilarious, but correct, as it turned out. The little kids (up to 4th grade) did turn out, and we managed to have a ball and make a little money.

In the middle of the roller skating, some folks showed up looking for t-shirts. My wife hit upon the idea of ordering t-shirts with the legend "I (heart) PKA" on them. PKA is the Federal Aviation Administration airport designation for Napaskiak. We ordered fifty of them and crossed our fingers. We received the shirts Thursday afternoon. By Saturday afternoon, there were seven left. We have had orders from former resident teachers on Facebook. We likely need to make another order. They have been a smashing success. If any readers have any interest in (hearting) PKA, feel free to contact me at blhicok@gmail.com.

In the evening, we had a hankering for ice cream, which is a rare commodity in these immediate parts. It was our "free day" on Game On, so I hopped on the snogo for a quick run back to Swanson's. On the way back, I ran into the uncle of one of my students, who happened to need a ride to Napas. No problem-we are glad to deliver. Ah, the life in the Bush-not for everyone by any means, but rich and varied (and weird) if you like that sort of thing. As I have said on more than one occasion, I can't explain it on esthetic principles, and it is sometimes a love-hate kind of relationship, but this place has grown on me over time more and more. We enjoy our return in the summer, but we are home here as well. Probably a good thing, given the fact that we live here for more than nine months out of the year...

No comments:

Post a Comment