Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Luxury of a Quiet Sunday...

This is the first day in a number of them that we did not have to be somewhere or do something first thing in the morning. This is not to say that they have not been pleasant days. It is to say that it was a pleasant change this morning to luxuriate over a morning cup of coffee and know that I was on no particular schedule.

We have attended to some business. There were the Mother's day calls, and I got real energetic and put away the snowmachine for the season. I also brought over a bunch of totes (yep, totes!) from the storage building, and we have embarked on the task of filling them up with the contents of the house. We have a little less than two weeks before the school year is over, and the teachers will all have to move their belongings into the gym for summer storage. My understanding is that the piles will ultimately be moved into the new housing when it is ready.

The apartments seem to be coming along nicely. I am hoping to get one with a view of the mountains in the distance. They have two actual bedrooms in them, which means that we are going to be in a position to host visitors for the first time in the two years that I have been out here. We will likely be starting to put subtle pressure on a few people.

Breakup seems to be slow and steady this year. We got word that the river is breaking up around Kwethluk, which is about twenty-five miles upstream. The slough is mostly open, with the ice having sort of melted in place. No spectacular ice jams or anything. My guess is that the main river will be open in the next week or so.

It strikes me at this point in the day that the perfect thing to do now is to take a short nap, and I think that I will do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment