Sunday, May 29, 2011

So, This Is When It Started To Get Complicated...

We drove down to the local Pet Smart, where the dogs were going to board. I whipped out my paperwork to show that good old Dan was as healthy as a well-tended dog should be. The very nice young man asked me politely if I could tell him about Dan's Bordatella status. That is a vaccine that is apparently very necessary for doggies when they stay in kennels. As I found out, not every veterinarian gives these shots as a matter of routine. Yes, we had no vaccinations...not for that, anyway...semi-frantic consultations, and a quick improv...fortunately, there is a nice place that we stay in Anchorage with our dogs, and the had a room open for the two of us.

So Dan and I spent the week at the Puffin Inn, which was probably a little nicer for him. He didn't get stuck in a kennel by himself, and I felt that I should hang around the room a little more so that he was not too lonely. Not a bad workaround all together.

The class for which I had come into town early proved to be a real pleasure. It is basically an Alaskan history course taught by a Russian Orthodox priest who has become well known in the state. His focus is largely on setting up the background for the distinction that he draws between the the Russian period and the American time. Very interesting, a good story told by an excellent storyteller.

Now the seniors are here and we need to go and take them around. More on the story to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment