Sunday, January 13, 2013

Approaching Normal (slowly)

At long last, I am composing and typing from the recliner in my living room. It is a dream I have had...

We made it through the great power outage of 2013 (at least I hope that this is it...). We have attended various Slaaviq celebrations around the village. Staff members have been sifting in, some delayed by weather in their travels around the country. Our union has negotiated a tentative agreement with the school district that will cover the next two years.

My poor wife is getting more uncomfortable as the birth of our little one approaches. Yesterday, I gave up on sleep at about 3 am and decided to start doing dishes and the laundry after the coffee kicked in. Their is a lot of insomnia in these here parts. Everyone has been staying pretty cheerful, though. I was actually pretty excited about getting all that work done. I had chores done by 7 am!

There was a union executive board meeting at noon in Bethel, so after my weekly chat with my folks, it was out to start up the snow machine and hitch up the sled. The ride to Bethel featured rain and slushy snow. Kind of a slog. After our meeting, I went outside to see that it was now raining even harder. I got over to the AC store and did some very rapid shopping, and headed for the river as quickly as possible. By the time I got to the front door here, I was pretty soggy all over. I was very grateful for my seal hat and mittens. Nice and waterproof. My box full of groceries...not so waterproof. I was lucky, though, and made it up the stairs without having the bottom let go.

Many empty boxes were at the top of the stairs. The mail that had been "piling up" somewhere out in the universe had nearly all arrived. There were all kinds of baby things, some from Nana, and some from Aunty Amazon. There was even a radio so that we could listen to A Prairie Home Companion on a Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, we got together with our neighbors for some brunch. I believe that this is going to replace our Friday night pizza deal for the next little while. It might make sense on several levels. And it is a yummy way to start Sunday. After that, Eric decided that we would take a go at hooking up the new wi-fi router that we got over the holidays. Voila! Instant Internet! Talk about a welcome improvement! I would prattle on more about this, but my dog is staring at me, which means that it is nearly 9 pm, and time for his dinner, an event which he takes very seriously. Tomorrow is back to school day, and everyone is seriously confused about that...we shall see how it goes. It should be good for a few laughs, if nothing else...

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the world of internet in your home! Hope your second half of the school year starts of well. Kelly

    ReplyDelete