Friday, January 4, 2013

Water? Power? Who Needs it??

The pump at the school, which also supplies our water at the apartment, is down. The parts to fix it apparently have to be ordered from Anchorage, and it is not clear when they will arrive. The lights went out tonight. Another typical day. When things can go wrong, they will. Oh, well...yesterday that stuff made me cranky, but today is Deal With It Friday.

I got the chance to go riding on the river today, and that proved to be a nice alternative to boredom. The trail was a little tough to pick up at first because it was snowing pretty steadily, but it all sorted out as I went up the river towards Bethel. I picked up our veggie box, and 18 eggs at my wife's request, and headed back.  A pleasant outing. I actually had some pleasant thoughts about teaching my impending young one his or her way around the river highway...

We actually had enough water pressure tonight to wash dishes, and the kitchen is clean. I guess that the fellas over here are manually pumping the reserve tanks full or something of that nature. Kudos, guys!

We are hanging out at the school doing the net surf thing because we haven't gotten our wi-fi set up in the building. That will be a project to come after the neighbors return. It will be nice to have reliable Internet service at the house for the first time in nearly two years. Life's little luxuries...

Everyone here is getting excited about Slaaviq, which is coming up next week. I am working on getting our apartment building cleaned up so that people can come over and celebrate. We need to get on the official list. There seems to be surprise and happiness that we are here for this. This will be our first Slaaviq, and I am looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. I had to lookup the meaning of Slaviq. How interesting. I read the explanation at www.ankn.uaf.edu May you have a wonderful Slaviq!!!! Kelly from MO.

    ReplyDelete