Sunday, January 30, 2011

Catch-Up

It has been a while since I have been around these parts...the end of the week was busy with travel and more learning. For all the disruptive effect of the second year teacher inservices, they have generally been more useful in some ways than the regular or district-wide models. Mostly it was the end of an era of sorts, affording an opportunity to see some of the people with whom I came in to the district, perhaps for the final time. I have talked to a few of them, and they mostly seem ready to leave. This is a difficult life in many ways for a young, single person, and many have stories of wearing down under disrespect and isolation. It is hard for me to effectively assess the reality of their claims about disrespect, but the isolation part is easy to understand for young folks just out of college.

I suspect that for the old fossils like me, the knowledge that things are very bad indeed back in the lower 48 is enough to temper our thoughts of departure. And we do have a generous financial package of pay and benefits. But many of us are out here with loved ones that can share our struggles and provide a more immediate layer of support. It is easier for us to stay, I suspect, than it is for a single person in his or her 20's. They, however, are the future for this district. It would be nice if we could find a way to keep them here. If I had the perfect answer, I would offer it. I just feel sad to know that many of the faces that I saw the first time a year ago in August will not be showing up next August when the district gathers again in Bethel.

No comments:

Post a Comment