Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lucky 600

Those numbers have just built up quietly over time, almost without warning. Kind of like when you start creeping up on a milestone birthday and realize how long it has all been while still seeming like a short time.

I am in the middle of a long night's sleep. My body decided to send me to bed at 9 p.m., and now I am taking a break from doing that. I will be resuming that activity shortly. I am yawning heavily as I type.

Yesterday was kind of hectic and stressful, at least outwardly. I find those to be truly less stressful, and I think that has something to do with years of courtroom training, where it was important to be able to think clearly when things were difficult. I actually find days like yesterday to be kind of exhilarating.

We had the funeral of an elder yesterday. My understanding was that he had been the oldest person in the village. I went to the funeral for a while, out of respect for the family. Many of his grandchildren are or have been students of mine. His son is the president of our advisory school board. I had to leave for an AKT2 meeting. I would rather have stayed. The topic of the meeting was, oddly enough, connecting with the community. It was a productive meeting, however.

Today I will have some training in the afternoon, so I need to come up with some sub plans for a couple of hours worth of class. Nothing too challenging there. I also need to start making sure that I am ready to get out of here for the holidays-there are emergency lesson plans and sub plans to write, and grading to get done. And, of course, there are the submissions...always the submissions. I need to get them done before May. Kind of a pain, but unavoidable. My license has been renewed for another year, so I need to hold up my end of the deal, even if it is a ridiculous one.

This strange voyage continues. Some days are a whole lot better than others. Some days I would just as soon quit. But I haven't, and I suspect that I won't. Someone smart said something about a big part of life being about showing up. Guess that I will keep showing up for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment