Saturday, December 11, 2010

Why Yes, It Is Winter...

Up at the crack of 6 a.m., because the dog thought it necessary. Sara Jung and I had decided to zip up to the Saturday Market in Bethel and do a little scouting for some stuff for friends. We did not leave until the crack of 10:30, because that is when the damn sun comes up around here these days. My hands were really cold on the way up, mostly because I had been doing too many things without gloves on, not thinking about how cold it really was. I was afraid of frostbite for a while, but my hands were none the worse for wear when I took off my mittens at the Cultural Center in Bethel.

The day was pleasant, and we shopped and went for sushi lunch at VIP, and went to the AC to do some shopping.

The best part of the day came after we got back to Napaskiak. My sweetie sent me a text message saying that they were going to the plane over in Bethel and that it was time to go out to the airport and help pick everyone up. One of the planes was so loaded with luggage that I thought it might tip back on its tail.

So, my honey is home, and we have seven days with kiddies before we leave for the holiday break. All is well, even if it is cold here. It is the kind of a night that makes me grateful for a roof over my head and a functioning heating system. I understand that my friends back in the Midwest are getting hit with a hellacious snowstorm. I hope that they are all safe and warm. I will be seeing many of them in the very near future.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a safe journey home and I hope to see you then.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete