Monday, May 19, 2014

The Last Dance Begins

So we start the final week in our time here. Change is always a challenge, and especially so when mixed with conflicting emotions. Sadness, excitement, apprehension...so many and more, and often one succeeding the other.

It is impossible to write about some of the experiences that I have had here and the impact that they have had on everyone involved. The lessons I learned here myself were often difficult ones, and the feelings were often raw. Some of them still are. Some of them I will not discuss for reasons of privacy of those involved.

I will not understand all of this for a while, and then maybe not even then. We will see if it is possible to prove Wolfe wrong when he said that you can't go home. Maybe you can't. Maybe we will come back out here. Maybe it will be fantastic and joyful and everything our dreams are made of. Facing the unknown is spooky even if you are certain about the decisions that you have made, and more so if you still have doubts.

Today, we clean up. I plan to harness the activity and energy of my students to turn our classroom upside down and get it as clean as possible. In the afternoon, we have a trash pick-up drive that is mandated for 90 minutes. It comes at the end of the day, so we at least get to spend that much time outside. It looks to be a lovely day.

I had a conversation with one of my former students the other day, the first in several years. It showed me that we have done some good things out here. Maybe a fitting conclusion to our time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment