Wednesday, August 5, 2009

And the Rains Came...

It's definitely more on the muddy side today. The August rains have come in earnest, and perhaps to stay, if I understand the weather around these parts. I walked over to the AC (Alaska Commercial) store at lunch with a couple of other new teachers, to browse the selection of aspirin, fishing tackle, milk and produce, and 4-wheelers. Ya gotta like variety.
We had a good day, focusing on reading strategies and resources. I got to play around with my new Macbook Pro for the first time in earnest. Holy Moly. If a computer can be beautiful, this is it. The touch pad is really cool. If you use two fingers, it automatically scrolls up and down the screen. You can even turn the images on their sides and upside down. You can zoom in and out like with the iPod touch. Impressive. So, I am, of course, typing this on my old faithful Gateway. I have to get the new machine set up. Probably this weekend.

I will apparently be back here Monday night for more meetings starting Tuesday. Cabinet officials are coming here on Wednesday, I believe. We shall see if photo ops present themselves.

We also had some interesting food choices today, including agutuk, and salmon jerky. I like both. I have not made my mind up about seal oil, however. I will keep an open mind. The locals say that it'll cure what ails ya...

No comments:

Post a Comment