Friday, August 21, 2009

Lucky Number Forty

This is post number 40 on this trail of tears, and it sees us through the first week of school for our intrepid hero, who is desperately trying to figure out how exactly he got here. The struggles of the beginning teacher are legendary in this business, and yours truly is no exception. What exactly I am going to do with these children next week remains a mystery to me. I hope that by Monday some of that mystery has cleared itself up. I hope, I hope, I hope...

I am trying to get quickly grounded in the district progress model, so that I can figure out a course to chart for my students beginning this week. I spent the first week just playing the survival game, truth be known. That will not work for the long run. Cutesy lessons about biographies and reading out loud to my classes will not get it indefinitely. And, to top that off, I have apparently volunteered to help with a cooperative learning implementation exercise. Oh, joy...


Mostly, I feel that I have no idea what I am doing, and why exactly I am doing it. My days feel more like exercises in crowd control than anything remotely approaching teaching. The kids seem bored out of their minds and resentful that they are asked to control their whims for an hour or two at a time. Maybe it will get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment