Tuesday, April 3, 2012

SBA...

Standards Based Assessments...yet another educationese-based acronym. I am still unsure as to why a profession based on the promotion of clarity and understanding spends so much time and energy proliferating such a plethora of obfuscatory prose...the acronyms are the silliest part, in my experience. I have devised one of my own...JAFA. It stands for Just Another F---ing Acronym. Yes, I do feel very bad about that.

We will be in the midst of the state-mandated tests for the next three days. Everything is sort of stood on its head during these tests. There is a science test for the eighth graders on Friday, to boot. All of our regular classes are off for the morning, at least. I am still not entirely sure what happens in the afternoons. I have some ideas about what to do, but I am not sure with whom I will be doing them.

This is a busy week that will lead into two more busy and disrupted weeks for the kids. It will be three weeks in all before we get back to a "regular" academic schedule. By that time, we will be dealing with the effects of the vast amounts of sunlight that we have here by the end of April. As it is, it is not totally dark when we go to sleep at 10:30 pm. We are gaining daylight at the rate of nearly six minutes each day.

But the really tough thing right now is that I need to pee like a racehorse, and there is no one to step in to proctor the test. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment