Thursday, April 5, 2012

Snow and Drifts

More of it last night, and it falls outside the window as the students slog through their math tests...it has been an interesting couple of days. Very quiet mornings and afternoons, as kids test or work on catching up on their classes. I am thinking about showing a crummy Japanese monster movie later today to celebrate the near-end to all of this madness. Several grades will be tested on science knowledge tomorrow, but I am not sure exactly how all of that will be set up.

The ramp that leads to the new teacher housing buildings is made of wood, instead of the steel mesh that is used on the school's ramp. It tends to collect snow, and its orientation relative to the prevailing winds guarantees interesting snow drifts. Much of the snow this winter has come during the overnight hours, which makes for an interesting stroll down the ramp in the morning with two dogs on leashes. The drifts can vary in size and shape. They have often reminded me of miniature versions of the Khumbu ice falls on Mt. Everest. Maybe the fact that I wear shoes with ice spikes in them influences those thoughts...

We have all manner of guests coming to visit next week...it will be cultural week, and my in-laws are coming to visit. We are also going to be hosting Jack Dalton and Stephen Blanchett, two peformers who visited here last year, and will be working with kids to prepare and present digital stories. I am having the 7/8 kids work on them in the afternoon.

The week after that is a short week, with a district-wide inservice one day, and the Easter holiday the next (Russian Orthodox, in case you were thinking that I am off on the dates). We will resume "regular" operations on the week of April 23, at which point, we will have less than a month to go in the school year.

(Interesting interlude...we had a bleeder [nose], and that and snack break put us into an extended delay mode-the kids have been great, but I think that they are getting tired of three days of testing. Hell, my bar exam didn't last three days...)

Looks as if we need to start putting together the final organizational list for cultural days. I am not really sure what to do, or where I would be most useful-I am kind of accustomed to being pointed in a direction. I guess that we will figure that out as we get closer.

This afternoon after school seems like a good time for some relaxation time, which would probably be nice before what could be a busy weekend and week ahead descends upon us...

No comments:

Post a Comment