Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More Tundra Tea...

Back to Earl and Krissy's house, mostly to get a question answered, but then to visit. Still not used to the idea of dropping in unnanounced at 9pm on a work night, but my culture is way different, and perhaps a little more uptight about that kind of thing. I did get a couple more cups of tundra tea out of the trip, which is always fine by me.

The girls are cooking (literally) up some kind of scheme for making Easter bread, which sounds pretty yummy to me. I await the results with anticipation.

I have apparently been chosen to represent the school at an upcoming art retreat. I thought that it might be a good idea to pick up a bit of a craft, especially with culture week coming up in the not too distant future. So I have decided to subject my not-so-great hand-eye coordination to what I hope will be the tender mercies of our Miss Rearden's mother. I hope that I know what I am getting myself into....On the positive side, it seems to me that I could do with something to keep me busy on the long winter nights, and perhaps I will find something that interests me. Should be fun.

The art retreat will make next week a very short one. Monday is yet another inservice day, although this time we get to spend the WHOLE DAY grading papers from the district-wide writing exercise. Oboy...because the art retreat starts on Friday, that makes it a three day week for me with students. That Saturday is a work day for us, but we are allowed to use the art retreat to count toward the requirement. That means that this weekend, I will want to get caught up on some of my classroom work and do sub plans for Friday. I wanted to do some filing anyway, and I need to catch up on some of the writing work that has backlogged for the kids. They have been very busy lately, and I need to catch up with them.

Things are looking up lately, and I am starting to get excited about going home to Michigan for the summer. In the future, I could probably be persuaded to spend more of the summer here, but this is my first year away, and I would like to get back to see friends and family. Besides, there are a bunch of weddings and graduation open houses that we need to hit.

I feel lucky to be able to split my time between two places that I have come to love. Northern Michigan has been a love for many years, and the thought of having my whole summer to enjoy it without interruption makes me giddy. As for Napaskiak, I could spend many happy years here, if I am so fortunate. The future is fascinating to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment