Thursday, March 18, 2010

Update

I managed to get another three hours of sleep between 4:00 am and 7:00 am when the alarm clock went off. The flooding did not get any worse. Good for that. I talked to my boss this morning to tell him that the pump is still running in the house next door. He believes, and I am inclined to agree, that the owners did not refill the stove with oil (how we heat), and that the pipes froze and burst. There has been a noticeable draft coming under the floor in the past several days, which would be consistent with that theory. Neither of us is quite sure how many gallons of water were still in the tank. It must be empty, because the flooding into our side of the duplex had stopped by morning. The pump, however, is still running. It would have to run out of cooling water, at least in theory, and burn out and seize up at some point, but it had not done so as of 8:00 am, when I left the house. Weird. The boss recalled after he sent the keys over that he had had the locks changed, which meant that we would not be able to get in the door by definition. Ha ha. None of us are that sharp at 3:00 am.

It is almost deserted here this morning. Many of the staff and students have gone off to Anchorage for the game tonight. There are five students in the junior high. I am kind of glad, because we can work one-on-one with students today, and because I am tired and inclined to be snappish this morning.

For any of you folks that read this and wish to see the Napaskiak Hawks play tonight, you can see the games streamed online at bssd.org. My buddy Craig Sherwood, who teaches at Savoonga, is broadcasting the games. I am told that there will be some play-by-play commentary. I do not know whether that will be the case for the Napaskiak-Kivalina game, which will start at 8:30 pm Alaska time, or 12:30 am for you night owls in the Eastern Time Zone. Enjoy if you decide to check it out. I may be going to Bethel tonight, because the arts retreat starts at 8:15 am tomorrow. I am still looking for a place to stay at this time. I may be going up by snowmachine in the morning. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment