Wednesday, March 17, 2010

OOOGA BOOGA...

Apropos of nothing, really...yesterday seemed like a slugfest all day long. Lots of referrals, cranky kid generally...yes, I still like most of them. We will get through it. It was the Tuesday after a long weekend. I got much of my grading out of the way in the morning. I am still waiting on a couple of the gang to see where they will finish up in their Phases (our way of monitoring progress in reading, writing, and math). I even had to change a couple of grades because a couple of kids knocked out a bunch of stuff. They still seem to be in the mood to move and get things done, and I am in the mood to accommodate them. For whatever reason, yesterday seemed to be malaise day among the student population generally. It was not limited to the junior high kids.

It was a beautiful day, however. The temperature had climbed to 18 degrees, which feels warm like springtime when it has been mostly below zero for a couple of weeks. It was also sunny and clear, which continues to be remarkable to me. I am used to Michigan winters, which feature much more cloudiness and murk generally than is the case out here. It has been really sunny for most of the winter. That makes it much easier to deal with, in my opinion. We now also have visible light for more than thirteen hours each day. With the daylight saving time change, it doesn't get dark until nearly ten o'clock. The combination of the two factors made it an ideal evening for a dog walk with Sara Rearden and the two big mutts. I suspect with the increasing daylight, all of us will be staying up later at night. By May, we will probably be ready for a two-month long nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment