Monday, April 12, 2010

Ah, Madness...

We made it through testing nearly intact. The kids, who have become testing guinea pigs in my opinion, maintain a relatively good-natured patience with the procedure. They were spread all over the school in strange nooks and crannies, but pretty much went along with the whole thing. I had one student through all of it who simply refused to test, on two different days.

But on Friday, one of our more surly residents simply decided that he would sleep and nothing more. The whole confrontation ended with him in a headlock (not mine) shouting "whore!" at Chelsea. I was not real happy about leaving Friday night under the circumstances. This is the same leading light who stands charged with multiple counts of burglary for his alleged role in the break-ins in the teacher housing and the school over the holidays. My concerns were slightly misplaced, as it turned out.

Friday night, some enterprising felons broke into the local store. They apparently did some significant damage, and tried to haul off the ATM inside. You're not going to guess who was apparently found with drywall dust and insulation all over his clothing, and a fair amount of cash to boot....

We are all pretty confused.

The union meeting was interesting, and I got to meet some nice folks and grab a drink and dinner with them. I hope that I made a few connections that will be useful in the future. I also got the chance to get an old-fashioned haircut from an old-fashioned barber. Hot lather, straight razor to clean up the back of my neck and the whole thing. Way cool...

Today was oodles of fun. We are doing culture week, and I am helping in the beading room. I got to work with a bunch of new kids from the elementary side that I just usually see around the building, and I had a ball helping them out. The day went really well. I am looking forward to tomorrow. I hope to begin making some good connections with the youngsters that are coming up to the junior high in the future.

Late in the day, I was asked to help chaperone the NYO team when it goes out to Goodnews bay this weekend. I have never been there, and the pictures look beautiful. I will take my camera, and hope to get some good shots of scenery and the NYO competition, which will have to wait to be posted until I am out from under the thumb of our server and ATT. I will post nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment