Friday, April 2, 2010

Sorry




...that I haven't been able to load videos from Cama-i last weekend, although I have tried several times. I think that it is because the district blocks Google video now. The reason that I believe that is that I went back to look at a couple of videos that I did load back in September, and they are now not available for me to see. I have some pictures, but I really think that video captures the amazing spirit of Cama-i, which is all about movement. I will put up the pix anyway.




That weekend was a great deal of fun, including our last new teacher inservice at the district office, where I got to see some familiar faces, and have some very pleasant conversations. The day itself was sunny and beautiful, and presented the perfect opportunity for a truck ride on the river. The photos of the sign in one of the previous posts was taken at the northern approach to the slough here, which looks amazingly like a freeway off-ramp to those of us that grew up with that sort of thing.




We came back for the purpose of picking up a couple of kids from the village and taking them back to Bethel for the evening's festivities. There was traditional Yup'ik dancing, break dancing, and a Taiko drumming group from Anchorage. Great stuff. On Sunday, we hopped on the snogo and went back for some more dancing and some shopping among the crafter's tables. Many true artists with fur, grass, and assorted other media. I finally got that pair of mittens that I had been promising myself for cold weather.




The district provided us rookies with a three day pass, for which I was thankful. I have been waiting for the chance to attend Cama-i since I first knew about it. I was definitely impressed and cannot wait until next year's festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment