Monday, August 30, 2010

Number 500...

What more can I say? I don't know that I would have predicted this last July. Of course, I don't think I had any idea what was going to happen last July. I know that we place big store in our kids' ability to predict when they read. I suppose that it shows that they are paying attention, but prediction strikes me as presumptious and arrogant on some levels. After all, who the hell knows what is going to happen, anyway? We spend so much of our time trying to game the future that we have entire fortunes devoted to it, and we can see just how far that has gotten us...

It is the evening at the end of a long and kind of contentious day. Mondays can be treacherous as the year goes on, and this one was certainly that. I am just glad that it is over, and we can move on to a better tomorrow. I never saw myself as much of an optimist. In order to try to do this job properly, I think that optimism, even grim optimism, is essential. I don't want to overanalyze it, so I will leave it at that. You need to be able to look forward to the hope that things will improve. That was nearly impossible for me for much of last year. I think that it has changed this year. I hope so, anyway.

The first day of parent-teacher conferences are tomorrow. We will discuss the results from last year's testing, mostly. They were pretty grim overall for the junior high. Here is where that hope for a better year comes in. Maybe this year we will do better...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment