Friday, August 13, 2010

Out On The Boardwalk...




Taking the fresh air, milady and I..we went out strolling tonight. The first trip was down to the airport so that the big dogs could run. We invited Jim, our temporary sub, and Jan, our new dean of students, to go along. It was the first truly dry day in many, and the fresh air after a day cooped up inside was reviving. We are getting acquainted with the new folks, although I did meet Jim out in Goodnews Bay earlier this year. He is a retired teacher who lives down in Southeast Alaska and does the occasional long-term substitute thing for a change of pace. How long he is here will depend upon the district's success in finding a permanent replacement for our buddy Adam Bode. The Bodester took a deal that he could not refuse from a school district near to his home and family in Ohio. He left all kinds of supplies that he had shipped in here for all of us. We found out this morning that he had also left six bags of salmon that he and Joe caught on Monday when they went out fishing. We all miss him here.




Later on, we went in the other direction, down to Teddy and Julia's house, in order to meet the new baby there. There was some pleasant conversation, and some serious baby dandling. I do like the feel of one of those little guys in my arms. We have another visit to make yet this weekend to the house of another new arrival.




Coming and going in all of our travels were what is beginning to be what I think of as my entourage, mostly little kids who follow us around and ask a million questions. It's fun and I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I managed to get included in many of the 'welcome home" hugs that my bride got along our travels. I think that I am feelin' a little of the love...another very pleasant feeling.




Friday night is, of course, my favorite of the week when I am working, and it's nice to spend this first one of the school year at our home in Napaskiak...

No comments:

Post a Comment