Sunday, August 29, 2010

Powered Up...

I woke up at some point in the middle of the night and realized that the power was out. It didn't strike me as all that important at the time. It goes out here pretty frequently, and there has not been a real long term outage in the year or so that I have been here. When I woke up at 7:30, the power was still out. More annoying, because I wanted coffee, but not the end of the world.

I went back to sleep for a little while, and there was still no power when I woke up. Hmmm...it struck me that this was likely a more serious problem than whatever causes the ususal brief outages. I made some phone calls, and looked at the empty, non-dripping coffee pot, and decided that it wasn't worth the bother to stay up (and I had not slept well all weekend), and proceeded to catch up on some more sleep.

A check of my computer revealed at about 11:30 or so that the internet service was working, which meant that the generator at the school was working. I thought that I might as well work, too. I knew that there would probably be coffee over there as well, so off I went. I learned that the village generators had apparently run out of fuel. I was convinced at that point that we were going to have to learn to do without for a couple of days. Adequately caffienated at last, I turned to writing lesson plans with my teaching partner.

Sometime around one o'clock, I learned from another teacher that the power had been restored in the village. At least we were not going to have to worry about all of the meat in our freezer going bad. I spent the remainder of the afternoon contentedly puttering in my classroom, and getting ready for the return of my bride. I learned that my classroom is getting a smart board (yay!), and I got checked out on the school's four-wheeler, so that I could haul both totes and spouse from the airstrip at 5pm. Much nervousness on my part, as I had never operated one of the beasties before. Not to worry. I still know how to handle a motor-driven vehicle after all. Retireval was accomplished, and the machine in question was stored, and no one was killed or injured.

We topped the evening with a pizza get-together at the house of Jim, our long-term sub, featuring yummy pies and some delish cheesecake that my darling brought from Anchorage. A pleasant end to a day that started out in a not-so-promising fashion.

The week awaits us. Tuesday and Wednesday will feature parent-teacher conferences, and we have a district writing exercise with which to entertain our students on at least two days. I note that the prompts are the same ones that we saw at least twice last year. Then it is in to the Labor Day weekend, which we are all awaiting with anticipation. This week will also mark a milestone in the history of this blog, which I will likely talk about tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment