Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Astride The Middle Of The Week


Another Wednesday, another week rocketing toward its conclusion. It has been busy, which probably accounts for the flying time. Observation, parent-teacher conferences, and the Halloween carnival coming up tomorrow night, are all making for a hectic, but entertaining week. Eight weeks to go before we head home for the holidays.


Life here has been becoming very fulfilling, and it has been happening in a slow, subtle way. It feels as if my relationship with my students has been shifting and becoming closer. More of them seem to be making better choices, which is my ultimate goal for all of them. Many of them also seem to be thinking a little more carefully about things before they do them, and that is a good thing as well. I have not found any candidates for immediate sainthood yet, but I am very pleased that they seem to be showing signs of promise.


Parent-teacher conferences were very pleasant. I was happy to be able to deliver what was, for the most part, good news to parents. A lot of the kids actually showed up with their parents or guardians. It is a goal that we have been aiming towards, and I felt as if this time, we had some signs of success. I am hopeful that the parents of my students know that they are always welcome in my classroom. Last year, I wanted them there to see how badly their kids behaved. This year, I want them to see what I am becoming proud of, if slowly.


Tomorrow is our Halloween carnival, and I will be working with the seniors and juniors to try to get some fundraising done. I plan on doing some story telling on Friday, and we will wear our costumes to school, and I suspect that pictures will be available later that evening.


Winter showed some more serious teeth today. It was snowy and windy, and the snow went on for a good deal of the day. I actually got out the cold weather gear, because the lighter fall stuff that I was using just wasn't getting it any more. I saw my first snowmachine of the season, and I suspect that we will be waiting for the river to freeze, so that we can go and play. It will be nice to have a little more freedom of movement after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment