Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Weekend Off...

From everything, including this. My bride just inquired wonderingly why I had not posted. Friday night, I was too lazy and had nothing more to say. By last night, I was in a really crappy mood. My frame of mind is better today but I really do not have a lot more to say.

Our friend Ann called yesterday with the crummy news that our house had been broken into and that my bikes had been stolen. Both of them. Yes, the spiffy new one that I had gotten in the aftermath of my accident last year. Yes, the one that I loved to ride all summer. Yeah, that one. Imagine my joy.

Suffice it to say that I was in a funk for the rest of the day. Into the night. And periodically this morning. I have no real hope that the bikes will turn up, although it is weird that whoever broke in took nothing else. The black bike that has been featured in these very pages is very distinctive, and would be easy to spot in a small town like Cadillac. I can't get my head around it, but I will have to deal with the insurance claim and all of that pleasantness in the morning. There are always new bikes, and there are surely people out there tonight with much bigger problems than mine, but riding that bike was a truly simple joy of summer that I will miss greatly. On to the next, I suppose.

We spent the weekend studiously avoiding the school, not for any reason other than it felt good to have a weekend away from it for a change. Things get hectic from here. The next break will come at Thanksgiving. A four-day weekend will be a welcome respite by then.

Life is good otherwise. It is getting colder here, and there appears to be a real prospect for serious advances on the river freeze-up project. It cannot come soon enough for a change of pace. I have been hearing and even seeing a few more snowmachines lately. It must be getting close to the time where ours comes out of storage. It will be time for the Tundra Vixens to ride again...

2 comments: