Friday, October 22, 2010

It Is A Small World After All...

Another week come and gone. Except that I had to go to Bethel again, this time for a second-year teacher inservice on Saturday morning. As the cab was pulling in to my hotel, I noticed that the barber shop was open. That is not often the case when I am here, which tends to be on the weekend. I have been looking kind of in need of a trim lately, so I decided to see if I could slip in and get one.

I managed to get in under the gun, although there were five people ahead of me getting haircuts. I figured that I was not going anywhere in any big hurry anyway, and settled in to wait, listen, and read. I noted with interest a copy of a magazine called "Lake Superior." In fact, there were several copies there. As I waited, I flipped through an issue, smiling because it was reminding me of folks and times back in Michigan.

A man and his little daughter got his and her haircuts, with her making a donation to Locks of Love. Finally, my turn in the chair came, and I began chatting with the barber. As it turns out, he is from Munising, Mi, the jumping-off point for the Pictured Rocks, and one of my favorite vacation destinations. I had been talking with the boss lately about getting up there this summer for a little kayaking, as a matter of fact.

Well, we were poised for it, and we took off into a long conversation about things Michigan, including the Michigan State Spartans, who are having a pretty darn good football season this year. It actually outlasted the haircut by a fair piece. It was a pleasant opportunity to get out and spend some time with people instead of being cooped up in a hotel room, and I was glad for it.

Of course, I am currently cooped up in the hotel room, but I will be out of here in the morning. The cold that I was flirting with came, and appears to be in the process of going, and I am glad for that. I will hit the inservice, and hit the AC on the way back to the airport, and should be home at a reasonable hour. That will give me some time for final grade entries and lesson planning before Monday rolls around. It would probably be a good idea to get a little rest, too...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice evening. The wrestling tournament is going well. We're selling a lot of pretzels.

    I miss you and love you.

    P.S. Pictured rocks sounds lovely this summer.

    ReplyDelete