Friday, October 1, 2010

The End Of A Good Week...

Eat, drink, and be merry, for today we inservice...Yes, it is that time again...and it will be again and again...I guess that is the life to which I have consigned myself.

No complaints today. We are training in positive behavior management in the classroom, which should be the next step in my progression. As the weeks have gone by, I notice that my classes and I are moving more in concert. The tune may not always be perfect, but it is getting better. My mentor is out here, and was gracious enough to comment on the change that she has seen. We could discuss the reasons for the change, but I believe that the biggest one is that the kids and I are seeing and understanding each other more. We seem to read each other more easily. Even the last period science class has improved.

Now, I want to start making the next step, to a more proactive management approach that emphasizes positive input instead of just reaction. We are already beginning to do that, and I believe it is part of the reason for the fact that things are going better in the classroom. Today's inservice will focus in more depth on that process. Structure plus intuition-that seems to be the pathwway to success.

It has been nice to see Betty, my mentor, even though it means that she has been the seventh observer in my classroom in the past two weeks. That part is getting old, although she always is good for participation and communication when she is in there. I suppose that there is no avoiding it in the long run.

But today I think that I am going to avoid bitching any more about the complicated parts, and just enjoy the afterglow of a good week...

No comments:

Post a Comment