Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back In Business...

The weekend was long and pretty uneventful. We celebrated Labor Day by spending several hours working at the school. We were not alone. I did manage to clean two full totes of laundry and did two loads of dishes to boot. I would have rather not have been working on Labor day, but I was strangely pleased with what I was able to get done. I think this job is starting to get to me.

Today was an inservice day. It was district-wide, which meant that we were all on the closed-circuit TV loop, able to participate from remote locations all over LKSD. Considering that the district is the size of West Virginia, that is probably the easiest way to approach an event like this. The content, on the other hand, was a little stale, because it was basically much the same material that was covered at my second year teacher inservice a couple of weeks ago. Oh, well, I guess they paid me for working.

The weather here went from just dreary to more actively miserable today. The wind was blowing hard when I woke up, and it has not let up all day. The rain has been blowing sideways, and our new replacement teacher ended up stuck in Bethel, because the airplanes weren't flying. With any luck, this stuff will lift somewhat tomorrow, and he will be able to get across.

We are going to have a rollout for our computers as well as the announcement for sports for this year tomorrow night. That one will likely be complex and confusing. It is a short week, and I will probably be happy for it by Friday. We have gotten our new science texts, and I get to start making sense out of that this week, too. It looks kind of neat, but I am starting to feel stretched by all this new stuff that I am processing simoltaneously. It is probably good for me at the same time.

When Betty, my mentor, was here last week, she asked the usual questions that she is supposed to about challenges and concerns. The interesting thing is that I see the challenges, but don't feel concerned about them. I think I will just meet them as they come.

It does feel good to be wrapped up in the cocoon of my warm house as the wind rumbles outside, dry and safe on a wild night in Western Alaska...

No comments:

Post a Comment