Thursday, September 9, 2010

Backing Up...

And I don't mean onto a hard drive...the septic is doing its charming thing again. Fortunately, we keep a supply of bleach handy, so it isn't the end of the world. However, we are not even at the cold season yet, and we have had septic back-up issues twice already. Not pleasant.

The Napaskiak Striders had their last meeting as currently constituted tonight. I assume that the tradition will likely carry on, but one of our members is scheduled to leave tomorrow night. We have gotten a long-term replacement for the 5th and 6th grade spot. Our new friend, Jim, is going back to his home in Soldotna, and then on to Ecuador for the winter. I think that I can speak for the both of us when I say that we will miss having him around. He was a very pleasant addition to the group this fall. I am happy for him, though. It sounds like he will truly enjoy this winter.

The weekend is nearly upon us again, and that is a good thing. I was surprised how tired a couple of days of teaching made me after the long weekend. I guess I need to keep a sharper edge...A half-day, some PD, a home visit, and then a good night's sleep before we start doing lesson plans and prepping our classrooms on Saturday.

The rain took a break this afternoon, and I would be perfectly happy if it stayed that way for a little while yet. This place is waterlogged. It won't be too long before all of it freezes. We will be halfway through September already next week. That means winter cannot be far behind. It is already dark when we get up in the morning, and we have two more months to head in in that direction before things start to turn around. Onward, to the times of darkness...

No comments:

Post a Comment