Saturday, September 25, 2010

One Long-Ass Day...

We apparently slept through the alarm clock this morning, which had apparently been moved to the living room sometime during the night. The upshot of that was that we ended up (ok, I did) going into the second part of our inservice in our pajamas. It was perfect. We were confined to quarters yet again for a silly repetetive exercise, and then practiced some important skills. After that, we proceeded to hang around for another seven hours, doing lesson plans and giving a little counsel. There is a definite malaise in the local atmosphere, and I find myself wondering where it will lead. The amount of workload out here increases steadily, and like so many others in this economy, we find ourselves forced to work an increasing number of uncompensated hours to get our jobs done. Mandate follows mandate, and there does not seem to be any realistic consideration of the idea that people might have a life outside of the work place. I am not sure that there is even a concern about that part of employees' life at all. Maybe the philosophy is diffferent at the district level, but I am not reassured closer to home.

On the plus side, I am enjoying my kids more every week, as we all get to know each other better. This is a fun bunch, even when they are not angelic. Much better than the mix last year. Much. They like to stay after school to use their computers, and I usually don't mind staying around for them. So that part of it is good. It makes the other stuff more tolerable. Not great-tolerable.

In other news, the weather continues to be brisk and cool. There was a one-year feast for Ralph, the VPO that drowned a year ago. I had salmonberry pie and some delicious strips-some of the best that I have had this year. Some of my students were there and I chatted with them for a little bit. We got the mail and walked dogs. Big doin's in PKA...and now my sweetie is using her salad shooter to fix dinner. Man, I am lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment