Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It Sure Has Been Interesting So Far...

I guess that this marks the halfway point through the year. One semester done, one to begin in twenty-seven days. I have finished, for now, my preparations for next year in the classroom. It feels very good to be done. My confusion has been lifted, at least a little bit. I still have a lot to learn, and it will probably be a long time before I have it all straight, but it is a start, after all.

Tomorrow begins the long journey back to the Midwest. It will be good to see familiar faces and catch up with friends. But I also know that a big part of that life is gone. There is no going back in the true sense of the phrase. I think that the momentum of life is almost always forward, anyway. I can occasionally give in to nostalgia, but I have always been suspicious of that emotion. I think that it is essentially negative. There has been more than enough to keep my mind occupied, but I also know that I have moved on in many ways. All this in only four and a half months.

The weirdest thing about all of this to me at this moment is that I can feel myself itching to get back into the classroom. I absolutely cannot explain it. I am not going to try to analyze it tonight. I finished my first semester as a teacher in Rural Alaska, and I am coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment