Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Narrow Brush With Death...







One quick piece of advice-never ride a snowmobile up a melting river with a borderline psychopath...ok, just kidding...we went up to Bethel to take the dogs for a vet visit. They needed their checkup for the airlines, and a couple of shots needed to be given.

Unfortunately, the weather has warmed up dramatically overnight, and the snow has been melting rapidly. Of course, this means water on top of the icy river. On top of that, the river here is a tidal estuary, which means that the river has tides. That also means that there is water that has overflowed onto the top of the ice, in addition to the water from the melting snow. Lots of water. Everywhere. In a couple of spots, we had to go waterskipping, which involves going across the surface of the water at a high rate of speed. Much fun? I guess once you get used to it. I am not there yet.

It is still not clear to me which ride I felt to be less enchanting-the trip up in the darkness (and it is very dark once you get away from the village), or the trip back down, where the nasty ice was all too evident. I suppose I could have closed my eyes, but it is nice sometimes to anticipate the bumps and shocks before they arrive. We finally stopped to scout one especially deep looking patch of overflow. Fortunately, it turned out to be relatively shallow. A few more bumps and pitches, and one last overflow patch, and we were on dry land, and I was one happy puppy.

Buddha was squirrelled away in my down coat for the entire trip, and he was probably the driest life form on the snowmachine. I wore my new fur hat, and was glad for it, because the sealskin kept my head nice and dry. I have seldom been so glad to see the ramshackle little house that I call home. It was all over in relatively short order, and no one was the worse for wear. Maybe me, and my nerves, but it all turned out OK in the end.

We have guests coming over tonight for chili and/or borscht. A little company will be a nice thing. I am looking forward to it, and so, it is time to go and clean up.

3 comments:

  1. It seems it is necessary for me to counter some of the information on this particular post.

    1) Neither of those pictures are accurate.
    a. My dogs do not look like that.
    b. I have a ski-doo 550gtx a very large snowmachine.
    c. The river looked nothing like the other picture. The water was never any deeper than my knees. And most of the time it was less than an inch deep.

    2) My last psych evaluation said I only had manic tendencies. There was absolutely nothing about being a psychopath.

    3)Many people were on the river today, including much larger vehicles like trucks and much small vehicles like 4-wheelers. Ben was always quite safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call your LT and tellhim the Captain is off shift and Im running things, and Im detailing you tohold the boat. He was passionatefor them.
    lolita incest sex stories
    bdsm diet doctor stories
    female dog sex stories
    gay masturbation stories
    free sex stories interracial
    Call your LT and tellhim the Captain is off shift and Im running things, and Im detailing you tohold the boat. He was passionatefor them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ``Ok, well I gotta go. John looked at me with tearful eyes.
    pictures stories self bondage
    beastiality stories for free
    embarrising animal sex stories
    free adult sexual stories
    spanking machine stories
    ``Ok, well I gotta go. John looked at me with tearful eyes.

    ReplyDelete