Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy To Be The Support Team...

I think that my bride worries herself when I am restless here, which is often the case. Well, I know that she does. I am often very impatient with the bureaucracy and the endless cliches, and the incessant demands, and the lack of meaningful support, at least on the local level. Hell, I am worse than impatient. It drives me crazy. We are talked down to with an endless stream of buzzwords that could have come straight out of some corporate consultant's wet dream. In fact, I believe that they have precisely that origin. I spent a lot of years dealing with supposedly impenetrable language, and I think that this has that beat. The more that I think about it, the more that the phrase "load of crap" comes to mind.

But what she does out here is important to her and to her students. She needed a helper and a support team, and I am proud to try to be that. I am just sorry that she has to put up with my moods in exchange. I hope that the trade is worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I do worry about you and I do appreciate the support, more than you know. But I want you to be happy out here in your own right. Simply being my backup can't always be enough. Sooner or later you need your turn in the spotlight, just ask Diana Ross. Your good at this in your own right but what worries me is that you don't give yourself credit for all the things you do well. You focus on the lack of support and the abundance of criticism that comes at us here. Yet, you are quick to dismiss your successes, like one student coming back to school because you formed a relationship with her, another student, who was truly floundering and recognizing leadership potential in that student, even being a role model for the older boys and girls so that they know what a real man should behave like. Kids are forming relationships with you that are just as important as the ones I bring to the table. Mine have just had longer to grow. You have a student who has shown you more of herself than she has to any other teacher that I have seen in 5 years. Yet, you want to focus on a lesson plan that isn't color coded correctly. I know I am prone to it also. We get caught up in the minutiae of things and don't see the bigger picture.

    I love you and Ben and I'm glad that you are my backup but you have every right to shine in the spotlight yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Chelsea! I think we tend to focus on the things we don't do right or good and ignore all the things that we do do well. Ben, you are a great teacher and a great person, remember that.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete