Saturday, November 27, 2010

Waiting...

Word is that our charter is running about 45 minutes late. Three of us are going to hop over to Bethel for Saturday market and lunch and groceries. Saturday Market is a craft sale at the cultural center, which I wrote about and pictured last year. Then, of course, we were able to get over on snowmachines, which made for an exciting ride over a couple of big pipes. This year, the river is pretty much shot to hell, to the extent that there was a flood watch for the river yesterday, which may still be in effect. Apparently four days of rain and melting in the upper river basin have produced breakup conditions in the area. I just checked, and the watch remains in effect through this afternoon. We had snow and cooler temps yesterday, but the afternoon brought higher temperatures and rain. It is colder again this morning. Stay tuned for further information...

The holiday was warm and cheerful, and dinner was nice, if entirely too caloric. Yesterday was the day that we pledged to work and prepare mightily. We were going to do home visits. We were going to...we stayed at home in our jammies. Truth be known, burnout is probably rearing its head. Busy is a calm day out here, and I suspect that a four day weekend was too good to pass up. It won't be a four day weekend anyway. The seniors did put on a movie yesterday, and that called for a couple of hours at school.

My eval is this week, and after that, it is the rush to the holiday. I should care about the eval, but I don't. Shame on me. One too many observations, I suspect. I would like to do well, but I doubt that any one thing that I do know is going to make a difference all by itself. I either have a body of work that says that I am progressing, or I do not. One hour's observation (read: dog and pony show) will not save me if I suck.

Our flight seems to be on hold indefinitely now, unless it is not. The air service is waiting for a call from the agent concerning runway conditions. Confusion reigns. We were supposed to be gone at 9 am. We are not even sure if we are going anywhere at this point. This reminds me of the all purpose response for all questions in the Delta: "It varies." Or, if you prefer, "It depends."

No comments:

Post a Comment