Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Speech!

I am sitting here in the lobby at the Bethel Regional High School, waiting to see the results of today's first two rounds of speech competition. Silly, giggly, giddy kids are everywhere. Running, jumping, playing "ninja." Playing Rubik's cube, for God's sake. I haven't seen a Rubik's cube since Carter (Reagan? the first Bush?) was president. Some friendly teachers milling about.

We have been doing some version of this or another for most of the day, and we will do it all day tomorrow, before the big pizza party/awards ceremony/dance tomorrow night. As I write, kids are getting judging results from another series of speeches. Mostly they seem to just be having fun. I don't see a whole lot of trauma in the expressions in the room. There is some disappointment, but it doesn't seem to represent the end of the world.

At the risk of sounding dopey, this is the sort of little break that I could use about now. Different people, people enjoying themselves, positive attitudes. A nice change of pace. I am grateful for it. Thankful, even. It is that time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment