Monday, September 7, 2009

There Will Be Pictures...

OK, OK, I'm back from the big weekend in Anchorage. Got to drink some red wine like a grownup, walk on sidewalks, and eat at fancy restaurants. It probably cost more than it was worth, but maybe not. After a couple of weeks in the pressure cooker, I needed a little distance and sanity. Even though my returning cold kicked the snot (HA!) out of me Friday night and much of Saturday, I did get some semblance of health back by Sunday in time for our Prince William Sound tour. It was as grand and glorious as I remember it from June, and the sun was out for some very nice Labor Day weekend bonus points. All Anchorageites that I spoke to said that they could not remember a holiday weekend that had been as brilliant as this one had been.

There will be some pictures, and, I hope, some video that folks will be able to see, of a good-sized pod of beluga whales swimming up Turnagain Arm. The bus driver for the boat tour spotted them, and we pulled to the side of the Seward Highway for an impressive show. They apparently travel in packs of 30-50 or something like that. Anyway, there were a lot of them out on the way out and on the way back.

Now I'm back in PKA (our airport designation and a local nickname). Another day of inservice fun tomorrow, and back to students for Wednesday. A short week, which I hope will help me to get rested up and well before we start the long grind to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment