Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wooooo...



Over! The two-day ordeal is over! We got through it. Together. And, more importantly, we are still talking to one another. I am truly impressed. At both of us. And our sense of both maturity and cooperation. Maybe it doesn't sound all that impressive to you. But spending something like a total of nearly eighteen hours in a relatively small and crowded kitchen over the course of less than twenty-four hours and coming out civil is pretty damned impressive for a couple of control freaks like my wife and I.

We had a surprisingly good turnout for a junior high game weekend, and the concessions clicked along. There are another set of games next weekend, and my seniors will have more chances to do fund-raising for their senior trip. This is kind of a big deal to me, as I have not done this sort of thing before, and the kids have said that they would like to go to Michigan. A group of seniors stayed at the house in Cadillac in 2008, and doing that cut down on their hotel expense so much that they were able to spend much more money on having fun and doing things than might otherwise have been the case. I am hopeful that we can achieve our goal of bringing the kids back east. Cadillac and Napaskiak, sister cities??? It would be nice to foster a relationship between the kids in both places. Me and my pipe dreams...

I am pretty damn tired, but in a good way. We went to see Michelle's new house, and got a nice walk out of the deal. She is an especially close friend of my sweeetie, and they are going off to steam in a little bit. I have been thinking about that good hot steam at Joe's last weekend, and I am a little jealous. I need to get down there and help break up some pallets. They burn hot, and it is a real exercise in endurance. But it is a really good feeling as well. I haven't been steaming as much this year, and I miss it a lot. I am sitting here hatching a fundraising scheme that will get the seniors some cash and Joe some wood for his steam.

The crab feast was a smashing success, by the way. We had no idea of how to actually cook the damn things, and they were massive. Two different methods were attempted, and they both seemed to work sensationally. One hundred seventy-five pounds of enormous crab legs were cooked, served, and eaten by what seemed to be a very appreciative crowd. It would be hard for me to describe accurately how delicious they were. Fans of Alaskan King crab will be able to make a pretty good guess.

The feast was put on by a corporation called Coastal Villages Region Fund, or CVRF. They have done a lot of great things for the village and the school since I have been here, and this was another example. They sponsor lots of scholarships for village kids and generally try to help out in many ways. This blog officially salutes them for the wonderful feast that they put on here today. It was much appreciated.

Tomorrow will be a day of festivity. I have completed my lesson plans. We are going to Bethel to hang with some Wisconsin friends and watch the Super Bowl. I cannot wait. It will be a nice finish to a weekend that turned out much better than I might have expected.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Chelsea and Ben.. I couldn't have done it without your help.. i'm sure I'd be half bald by the time the food was done. I appreciate all your help. I hope you will have many, many, wonderful blessings! Thanks again!
    Fannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Fannie, for your gracious comments and your generosity in putting on this delicious feast! Feel free to call us any time that we can be of help!

    ReplyDelete