Monday, January 18, 2010

Back In PKA For The Winter...

Where to start? Saturday was the beginning of our journey back to Napaskiak. We drove for about five hours from Cadillac to O'Hare airport in Chicago. We stopped briefly and saw my sister for one last time before spring. All of the travel transitions went mercifully smoothly. It is suggested that I have a hard time adjusting to the Alaskan habit of traveling "heavy." Truer words could not be spoken. I hate it. There are so many moving parts to keep track of. I am frankly surprised that I did not leave my head or a leg somewhere, most likely in the TSA line. Don't even get me going on that subject.

Six hours and change after we finally took off from O'Hare (late), we arrived in Anchorage. We overnighted at a hotel called the Puffin Inn. Quaint, huh? Close to the airport, and pet-friendly. Hard to beat.

Sunday was grocery shopping morning (I opted out) which resulted in the magical appearance of another two totes to the lineup of Things To Go On The Plane and Unload and Load In Various Places. See my thoughts on "Alaskan" travel above...

We nonetheless managed to get all of this crap and three dogs safely to Bethel, where the temperature was a balmy -15, combined with a thirty mile per hour wind speed. Loading all of the crap was fun under those circumstances. Joe Bavilla, our site secretary, and my steaming sensei, was gracious enough to pick us up and drive us down the ice highway to Napaskiak.

There had been a series of break-ins at the school and in teacher housing over the holiday break, and we learned that we had also been victimized when we got back to the house. At least they were kind enough to close the window through which they had entered. There is not all that much of value that was left here, but I suppose if you are going to break in, you had better steal something for your trouble. An older iPod of mine was missing, along with some granola bars and three cans of V-8 juice.

The theft that really sucked came in the bedroom. The dumb shit stole our blankets. Actually, a down comforter, and a couple of pillows. For God's sake...

Anyway, we had spares around, a fact for which I was personally grateful. A very nice state trooper came to the school and talked to all of the theft victims about the incident. He had a few theories about the break-ins. It will be interesting to see how his hunches play out.

Monday was inservice day, and, more importantly, laundry day. I got four loads done and learned about positive behavior mamagement. A big day, to be sure. I spent a good deal of the late afternoon and early evening working to post new information to the classroom. I moved my desk space out of the high school area and into the junior high room. I will be there all day this semester.

All of this has lead me to this spot-10:50 P.M., and ready for bed. Tomorrow brings the students back into my life. I am told that the simple fact of my return will affect their behavior. We shall see how that works out.

On to adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment